Forum domain and host renewal

News & Messages About Our Forum

Moderators: MonkeyBoy, xLc

xLc
Union: LCF

Forum domain and host renewal

Post by xLc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:16 am

Early September our host needs renewing and early October the domain name too.

I'm out the country from tomorrow for a while so don't have time to shop around for a cheaper host and then move everything, so it means staying put.
Unfortunately that means paying an inflated price.

That brings me to the next part.
Members are not supporting us like before, and before someone says it's quiet because it's summer, well hf is busy enough. Too many readers and not enough posters here as always.
I'm no longer in the courier game, I have other interests now, however I did say LCF would stay online and it would if people used it. Currently it doesn't justify the time, effort and cost. Nearly 3500 members and how many regularly post? 5 or 10 at most.

This isn't a plea for donations, we have had some very generous donations that have allowed us to stay online for the passed 5 years, but now I'm not sure LCF is actually wanted or needed anymore, so is it worth throwing more money at it?

Host expires 7th September. The decision is yours
LCF Admin

Advertisement

sillyhilly0

Re: Forum domain and host renewal

Post by sillyhilly0 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:10 pm

Yes it is needed!!

More than ever.

The HF forum is crap and although there are more posters on theirs, they mainly talk crap.

The so called helpers all tow the Herpes line spouting the same old boring things.

It's about time more Hermes people started posting here, and not just reading????

USE IT BEFORE YOU LOSE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:31 pm

I don't go on HF, used to, but can't access it now, must say haven't really missed it.

Schrodingers Cat

Post by Schrodingers Cat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Maybe it's time to start a 'Pay Per View' scheme. I'm not meaning actual money, but linking number of views to number of posts made. For example: you're allowed 5 views for every 1post made. Don't post, don't view. Simples!

I wouldn't blame you for calling it a day though xLc.
ALWAYS REMEMBER:

'IT'S NOT THE SIZE OF THE DOG IN THE FIGHT,
IT'S THE SIZE OF THE FIGHT IN THE DOG!'
:D :D :D

highlander33
Union: GMB

Post by highlander33 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:24 pm

Would be a black day if LCF folded, especially now we have the likes of FF and GMB on here.

Those of us who post will carry on posting, but we cannot press gang the silent majority ?

have asked a recently ex-courier to start a thread about over on dark side...
I drink and i know things.

junglebear

Post by junglebear » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:26 pm

I think the problem is that everything that could possibly be said, has been said. But that doesn't mean the end at all, I have extremely high hopes for the upcoming legal shenanigans, and I hope that's the catalyst for some extreme changes.

At the moment we're all in limbo, it's almost entirely pointless to carry on discussing pay disputes, unsolved issues and all the completely hopelessly inadequate systems because nothing at all will change from feedback through hermes 'systems'. It had to become legal and unfortunately that is slow.

Pleeeaaaase don't abandon ship yet. You deserve to be here to watch the carnage as it is exposed that hermes are flaunting every single rule that exists.

xLc

Post by xLc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:36 pm

I won't abandon ship I'm just asking if it's worth paying £200 to keep going when most seem content with HF.
I agree with the gmb case and maybe they should contribute to the costs especially as we help them get more and more paying members.
The small ad revenue and some generous donations have helped us for 5 years, but with fewer posts being made the ad revenue is falling whilst costs are rising.
The best way to help is for people to post, the more the better and I don't just mean the current 10 or so. If just 15% regularly posted then the forum would be self funded.

I'm not threatening to close, just asking if people want us to carry on
LCF Admin

junglebear

Post by junglebear » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:51 pm

This is gonna sound dramatic, but I honestly would struggle to stay in the job without this place. It's a place of sanity where I can see other sane people being as completely baffled by what goes on (and railing against it).

If this didn't exist I would go on col for manifests, and due to the lonely nature of the job I would probably poke my head in hf. It's not good for my mental health - I honestly mean that - i just really cannot cope with that level of banality, stupidity, dishonesty, frustration and patronisation. So the choice between that or being completely left out in the cold alone, is very unappealing. I need to know that there are others with a similar out look out there.

xLc

Post by xLc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:15 pm

Post copied from hf:
I have looked around on several occasions recently and find zero new content or interesting topics.  It's basically threads from here (mostly negative ones) copied there and discussed with a little less restriction, by that I mean people are even more negative towards anything Hermes related there.

I see several long time posters on there with massive chips on their shoulders that have very little constructive or interesting things to say on any matter.  However, it's their platform to say what they like and feel important since it's unopposed.  I say that without any knowledge of who those people are on COL, so it's nothing personal, just an observation.

My comments are only aimed at the Hermes section too, never read any other section.
There you go. That's what a courier thinks of us and we provide a platform to help them. Why do we bother
LCF Admin

MonkeyBoy

Post by MonkeyBoy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:23 pm

Its a true fact that I only ever log into COL to either activate a returns pad, Or update a manifest when the useless HHT preforms to its usual standard.
Theres no reason to check out the forum as I have my own dinner to look at and I've spent all day pretending the world is wonderful to my customers.
ESTIMATED time of arrival.... You cant fail something you have only estimated?
You know you're ugly when it comes to a group picture and they hand you the camera.

xLc

Post by xLc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Nick

6:31PM

Bout time that forum died
Just remind me a sec. Lcf is here to help couriers is it not?
What is the point when some of them hate us?

Maybe they would enjoy working bank holidays if we wasn't here
Fucking pricks. Waste my time trying to help dicks like that
LCF Admin

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:41 pm

I hardly ever come on here nowadays, I have to say and you lot won't like it I find it really helpful, I have had many things sorted out including unmanifested parcels, pay issues.
It was also me who suggested the projected numbers being posted the day before, I find this really helpful and when we get numbers for the individual rounds it will be invaluable.
If you ask a question it is generally answered, the problem with the few who post on here is all they are interested in is being negative, plenty of that on the other site as well it most certainly is not all positive arse licking.

Just my opinion.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:43 pm

xLc wrote:
Nick

6:31PM

Bout time that forum died
Just remind me a sec. Lcf is here to help couriers is it not?
What is the point when some of them hate us?

Maybe they would enjoy working bank holidays if we wasn't here
Fucking pricks. Waste my time trying to help dicks like that

This site was not the only thing that stopped the bank holiday working, no one wanted them and a lot, the majority I would imagine would have refused to do them.
Exactly the same as the discussion about Christmas Eve and the three super Sundays being discussed atm, most people are saying the same and it is nothing to do with this site.

VC10

Post by VC10 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:56 pm

So exactly how much does it cost to run this forum?

junglebear

Post by junglebear » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:01 pm

There's a bit of discontentment on hf, but anything of any substance is ignored, avoided or undermined.

I would not have had enough confidence to refuse the bank holidays if it weren't for lcf. And it is only thru lcf that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Having said that, please don't focus on the people who say that lcf is crap xlc. People are entitled to their opinion, and it really doesn't matter that a lot of people are totally self serving and are only interested in preserving their own little bubble. All that matters to me is that we are RIGHT, we are not self employed, many people are exploited, health and safety is ignored, centuries of workers rights are undermined and basic respect is non-existent. Some people may like the status quo, but as far as the big picture goes it cannot be allowed to continue.

xLc

Post by xLc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:01 pm

Jules that maybe the case but i know for a fact lcf was mentioned in hermes towers as one of the reasons for the about turn.

Vc10 to stay with current host, Just short of £200. We have outgrown the cheap hosts so they are no longer an option.
Could get it cheaper if we moved but i dont have time to do it all.
LCF Admin

Go Bots

Post by Go Bots » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Don't let that little shit head (nick) get to you.

picasso

Post by picasso » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Im probably guilty of reading and not posting. The reason being i dont have anything interesting to say most of the time. However as a solus courier i have to agree with jb. I wouldnt have known about other couriers refusing to work and so would have felt pressured to work the bank holiday. This forum is the one i come to for real honest answers and i would miss it even though i dont put much on here .

oscar01492

Post by oscar01492 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:36 pm

xLc wrote:I won't abandon ship I'm just asking if it's worth paying £200 to keep going when most seem content with HF.
I agree with the gmb case and maybe they should contribute to the costs especially as we help them get more and more paying members.
The small ad revenue and some generous donations have helped us for 5 years, but with fewer posts being made the ad revenue is falling whilst costs are rising.
The best way to help is for people to post, the more the better and I don't just mean the current 10 or so. If just 15% regularly posted then the forum would be self funded.

I'm not threatening to close, just asking if people want us to carry on
if 100 members post once a day then that would swell the coffers a lot and go some way to keep the forum running

oscar01492

Post by oscar01492 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:42 pm

some couriers thing hermes can do no wrong don't know which planet they are on

xLc

Post by xLc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Anyway I'm outta the UK from tomoz for a while so have fun.
LCF Admin

VC10

Post by VC10 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:59 pm

So we need ten people to donate £20 each, I'm up for that !

xLc

Post by xLc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Or a hundred donate £2
LCF Admin

Go Bots

Post by Go Bots » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:16 pm

I would donate £2

doveton sturdee

Post by doveton sturdee » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:44 pm

VC10 wrote:So we need ten people to donate £20 each, I'm up for that !
Me too, just tell me when.