Hi! We see you’re using an ad-blocker. We’re fine with that and won’t stop you visiting the site.
But as we’re losing ad-revenue from this then why not make a donation towards website running costs?
    Click Here To Donate

IMPORTANT! Having Trouble Logging In Or Registering? Not Received An Activation Email? Contact Admin On admin@lifestylecouriers.net
+
If You Are A Member Of The GMB Union Then Please Click Here

LCF 2019 New Years Message

News & Messages About Our Forum

Moderators: MonkeyBoy, xLc

xLc
Admin
Admin

LCF 2019 New Years Message

Post by xLc » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:11 pm

Quick message to you all,

Interesting year 2018, started off with great hopes for the Hermes tribunal and the 'few' warriors did not fail us. As predicted Hermes managed to spin it out until peak was over, and it looks like they may even manage 2019 peak at this rate! But ultimately their time of courier exploitation is coming to an end, indeed the whole gig economy now looks set for a shake up in the coming years.
Thanks to Frank Field and his team for making Hermes answer to the select committee, eventhough the Hermes reps lied to them, hopefully they saw through this and along with the HMRC will bring Hermes to task once and for all. Thanks also to the many media that help bring our stories to the public. A huge thanks of course to the GMB and Leigh Day, without either the tribunal would never have seen light of day.
2019 will hopefully be a great year for couriers with much change for the good. We have many months ahead and much work to do, in essence we have only just begun, but lets not forget, we have come far further than ever before thanks to some of the members on LCF.
The 'few' who made the tribunal possible are owed a lot from us all, and now we must take what they achieved and thrust forward, ALL couriers united to continue the fight!
If LCF had a new years honours list then Nimrod would definitely be at the top of that list, but lets not forget the others that stood with him. LCF thanks all of you.

I would also like to thank every bodies continued support of LCF. Without you we would not exist. :amen:

So enjoy your New Years Eve and lets make 2019 even better than 2018

:obscene-drinkingcheers: :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

Advertisement

DILLBERT

Re: LCF 2019 New Years Message

Post by DILLBERT » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:26 pm

Well said that man. Hope you all have a good one.

trnc

Post by trnc » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:36 pm

Happy new year to all and hope 2019 brings all you deserve and Hermes get all they deserve.

highlander33
Expert Poster
Expert Poster
Union: GMB

Post by highlander33 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:13 pm

Well said xlc. Many thanks to yourself, monkeyboy and SC for providing and looking after LCF.

Happy New Year everyone !
I drink and i know things.

ollie3757
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ollie3757 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:40 pm

Well said XLC and Happy New Year to you and your family and everyone else on this forum
I have a brain the size of a computer, its just the problem of locating the data!

tra2e0cey

Post by tra2e0cey » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:18 pm

Happy New Year everyone. Quitting last February after 14 years was the best decision I have ever made. Here's hoping 2019 brings much needed change and opportunities for you all x

sue
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

Post by sue » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:37 pm

Thank you xLc, MB and SC for the forum and getting us this far with GMB👍
Thank you Nimrod for all your work👍
Let’s keep going, hard hats on to fight the B***ards!
Happy New Year to all.
I wish the Self Employed umbrella stopped sh*t falling on my head

JohhnEdward
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Post by JohhnEdward » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the cause, especially xLc and Nimrod for some great work.
But enormous thanks to Conor for obvious reasons
Multi famam, conscientiam, pauci verentur

Nimrod
ViP
ViP

Post by Nimrod » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:12 pm

While the thanks and praise are most welcome I can not and will not take credit for the work done by some many for so long.

We are at a turning point. A turning point I never thought we would ever reach. Did I think at the start of this year we would get our day in court - I doubted it. Did I think we would beat Hermes so comprehensively - not really.

Then all of a sudden, we had couriers at the Select committee and the way we were being treated by Hermes started to hit the press. then Couriers talking to MPs in the House of Commons, including the Shadow Secretary for Health. Then Couriers sitting in court and telling the judge exactly how it was, working for Hermes. then the long long long wait to see what the Judge thought.

BOOM we had won our case and we all saw the ruling and what a ruling it was. If you will allow me to indulge in some quotes, Hermes evidence - "evidence wholly unpersuasive and in respects implausible" "very distinct impression that he was saying what needed to be said............regardless of whether what he said was accurate"

But what summed it up for me was this single line - "By contrast, I found each of the three Claimants (couriers) who gave oral evidence entirely credible." - OUTSTANDING

We as couriers have had an outstanding year. Even down to the fact that our tribunal win has brought Hermes to the negotiating table and we are on the verge of making history with the GMB as the only (as far as I am aware) self-employed workforce to have full union recognition.

However, we are not there yet and there will be many battles ahead. As we all know peak is now over and if tradition follows as it has other years Hermes will be pushing more at the couriers than ever before, wanting more for less. We now have insight some control over how we work with Hermes but as I say there are many battles ahead and we need now more than ever to UNITE, both as a courier network and behind the GMB.

We need an end to poor pay, we need an end to the treat and bully culture and we need an end to the exploitation of past years. We need to hold our heads high and be proud of ourselves, of the service we give to our local communities. We make deliveries easy, not Hermes. We are the ones who have delivered Christmas to many millions across the country. Johnnedward, Sue, Levi, Jimbob, darthvader to name but a few, We are the couriers we are good at what we do and we want rewarding for the hard work and professionalism we provided day in day out, rain or shine.

All that has been achieved this year has come about by the constant work of many, xLc, Monkeyboy for keeping our NOT so little forum on the right path. Schrodingers Cat for kindly supporting LCF with his shop.

To GMB organiser and the GMB for their hard work, which is still ongoing, To Michael and Gabriel from Leigh Day and Sean Jones, our barrister for putting together a winning case

But none of this would be possible without every one of you - THE COURIERS, for posting and supporting the efforts made this year to bring about a better working life for us all. We have a long way to go but if I may I would like to quote Sir Winston Churchill

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

If we join together then we can, I am sure, see the end of the beginning and move on to the next chapter and work towards the respect and dignity we deserve and have earned.

Here's to a good 2018, but more importantly here's to an even better 2019. I will be here posting away on the pages on LCF. I hope you will all join me.

And to each and every one of you, I am so proud to be one of you, to call you not only colleagues but friends and to each and every one of you I wish a fantastic, prosperous and happy New Year.

See you next year

N

Danny
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Post by Danny » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:34 pm

I can only add my thanks to the people who run this forum. Its something I visit almost everyday. And huge respect to the couriers who took Hermes to court and beat them. Happy new year, and keep the struggle for better conditions ongoing.

Schrodingers Cat
ViP
ViP

Post by Schrodingers Cat » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:59 am

Happy New Year everyone!

It's great to look back on 2018 and see how much support was given by members to the forum, and how much support was given by the forum to members. Long may it continue! :super:

fastjetboys
500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Post by fastjetboys » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:25 am

A big thank to those mentioned above who have achieved so much during 2018.

Hayles46

Post by Hayles46 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:34 pm

Here here,.. Happy New Year and DITTO to above.x

picasso

Post by picasso » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:55 pm

Happy new year everyone. As I have said previously if it wasn't for lcf I would not have known about any case. I'm so glad I joined the gmb and the case. I had a meeting with my fm the other day to sign the ipad contract. I refused but handed her my hard copy with the extra bit supplied by ld. She said I'd lose my work for not signing the ipad. So we will see. She rang her boss who told her hermes had won and once the appeal was over nothing would change. I said if hermes won why have they appealed? Oo I never thought of that said fm. So the bullshit is still flying. Lots more crap said but I shot her down every time 😂

Nimrod
ViP
ViP

Post by Nimrod » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:33 pm

picasso wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:55 pm
Happy new year everyone. As I have said previously if it wasn't for lcf I would not have known about any case. I'm so glad I joined the gmb and the case. I had a meeting with my fm the other day to sign the ipad contract. I refused but handed her my hard copy with the extra bit supplied by ld. She said I'd lose my work for not signing the ipad. So we will see. She rang her boss who told her hermes had won and once the appeal was over nothing would change. I said if hermes won why have they appealed? Oo I never thought of that said fm. So the bullshit is still flying. Lots more crap said but I shot her down every time 😂
Sorry can I just get that right "She rang her boss who told her hermes had won and once the appeal was over nothing would change"

Who the hell is her boss? Cloudcuckooland doesn't even cover it. You could always print a copy of the ruling and give it to the FM who seems to have little between the ears

Great that you stood your ground. Hopefully, more will be doing the same in 2019. Also, these FMs and their bosses may well have a hard time if we get the recognition agreement

Nimrod
ViP
ViP

Post by Nimrod » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:28 am

I was just thinking about the “boss” of this FM above and this boss is a perfect example of rogue management within Hermes. Hermes are not under any circumstances declaring they have won. In fact quite the opposite. Due to their loss they have sat down to negotiate and also appealed as Picasso pointed out to the FM.

This is going to be a major challenge for Hermes, sorting out its own managers and making them tow the line. Many managers have only been able to manager (in the loosest sense of the word) by lying, threatening and bullying couriers. Will they be able to do it manage when they have to do it properly with at least a basic level of professionalism? I suspect some may find it a problem they can not manage.

Time for these managers to start looking at changing their ways or may be looking for other jobs. Hopefully if they can't change their ways any future employers will see them for what they really are, individuals who are way above their ability level. Lies, threats and bullying have no place in the world of work

Active topics