Hi! We see you’re using an ad-blocker. We’re fine with that and won’t stop you visiting the site.
But as we’re losing ad-revenue from this then why not make a donation towards website running costs?
    Click Here To Donate

Contact Us On admin@lifestylecouriers.net For Any LCF Issues

Any good ways of tracking costs/expenses?

Sameday Delivery And Other Courier Related News
Gigarama

Any good ways of tracking costs/expenses?

Post by Gigarama » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:10 pm

Any useful tips of what to use to track your costs and expenses when delivering? I'm thinking mileage and food mainly. But also repairs etc.

Cheers!

Advertisement

INCOGNITO

Re: Any good ways of tracking costs/expenses?

Post by INCOGNITO » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:15 pm

Food? I keep all receipts regarding fuel, road tax, servicing, MOT, repairs and insurance. Also AA breakdown cover. I also keep a note of mileage each day but I do cash basis tax return so no need really. I claim for charging HHT, home as office and charitable giving throughout the year. A little bit of stationary like pens, A4 pads that I use - that's about it really.

Milestone

Re: Any good ways of tracking costs/expenses?

Post by Milestone » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:13 pm

There are a few free accounting programmes online that you can learn to use.

Alternatively I'd keep several note books in your vehicle.

One to keep a track of mileage at the end of each working week, one to keep a log of everyday expenses you occur that are related to your work (always keep receipts), and then a separate one for larger expenses e.g. insurance (can be tax deductible) in certain cases the finance interest you pay as a result of taking monthly instalments may also class as a taxable deduction if for business use. (Been a long time since I finished my accounting Degree so please don't hold me to it haha).

I'd then transfer it to Excel weekly/monthly.

It's a boring process but allows you to keep on top of it!

Matthew

Active topics